Introduction of District Muzaffargarh
Muzaffargarh is a district in the south of the Punjab province of Pakistan. It is part of Saraiki Waseb. It is spread over an area of 8,249 km˛. Muzaffargarh District lies in the strip between the rivers Chenab and Indus, which pass along the Eastern and Western boundaries respectively of the district and form a triangle at Alipur tehsil of the district.
The district is bounded on the north by district Layyah, on the south by Bahawalpur and Rahimyar Khan districts across the river Chenab. Districts Multan and Khanewal are on the eastern side of district Muzaffargarh, across the river Chenab.
District Jhang touches it on the northeast. Dera Gahzi Khan and Rajanpur districts lie on the western side across the river Indus. It is one of oldest districts of Punjab. According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the population of the district was 2,635,903, of which 12.75% were urban.
Muzaffar Garh is one of the oldest districts of Punjab established in 1861 by the British. The district traces its name from its main town Muzaffargarh which in turn was named after its founder Nawab Muzaffar Khan. The word Muzaffar Garh means the “The Fort of Muzaffar” due the fact that the old city is encompassed by the fort built by Nawab Muzaffar Khan in 1794.
The district’s major industries include cotton ginning and pressing, flour mills, jute textile, oil mills, paper/paperboard articles, petroleum products, polypropylene bags, power generation, readymade garments, solvent extraction, sugar, textile composite and textile spinning.